Returning from County Cup engagements, FC Humber sighted their next points haul at the Fairfax Plant Hire Stadium in a 3.00pm kick-off against fellow Northern Counties East strugglers, Swallownest FC. The magnitude of the fixture hadn’t gone unnoticed, as Humber sought to build on the thoroughness instilled through Dave Haley, as the club progress to revive the season. 

However, the return to league action offered little respite as Humber were left to rue in another defeat, after a six point game was turned on its head after being in charge at the break. With match officials commencing the league fixture, the game had begun as perhaps many a game would; an intense opening few minutes the was borderline physical as the twenty-two combatants of Humber and Swallownest vied for early supremacy.

Humber proved the more potent in the opening exchanges as opportunity on goal began to seep into the game; Eddie Wileman and Szymon Czubik both saw decent opportunity go wide before Dave Howard forced a early save at the opposing end. The visiting Swallownest thought they had opened the scoring twenty minutes in, but the attempt on goal was matched by a goal line clearance. 

Humber perhaps deservingly, took the lead as the game passed the half hour mark; a Jack Gascoigne free-kick found Harrison Leigh at the back post who nodded home to give a deserved lead. Humber began to build in confidence thereafter, and were almost two goals to the good minutes after taking the lead; Szymon Czubik found himself a free header from a decent ball in, but wasn’t able to get a decent enough touch to direct the ball on goal. 

As the half drew to an end, Swallownest perhaps thought they’d deserved a penalty but the referee had other ideas and waved away the visitors’ hopes of getting into the tie. Humber should have doubled their lead shortly before half time; Super Sym danced his way through the Swallownest defence but was dispossessed as he was about to pull the trigger. 

HT: FCHU 1-0  Swallownest

As the second half began, the fixture continued to offer a close affair between two teams at the wrong end of the table. However, the game past the hour mark and a five minute lapse in concentration saw the game turn on it’s head; the visitors levelled initially through Woodhouse then an instant response from Woodhouse saw the visitors lead after sixty-six minutes. 

From then on the fixture offered a stalemate despite both side’s offering probing attacking moves. With the fixture now approaching it’s later stages, Humber tried in their number to salvage a point out of the fixture, but, it simply would not happen for the hosts. At the death, Swallownest were perhaps lucky not to drop down to ten men after a harsh tackle saw the referee brand a yellow, much to the dismay of the Humber touchline. 

FT: FCHU 1-2 Swallownest

As It Happened

Positives despite defeat

With the game ending in defeat for Humber, there are positives to take from a game against fellow strugglers Swallownest. Despite a different challenge, it was felt a decent account was given in the way the team pressed and in possession and perhaps Humber should have walked away with the three points. There are no illusions as to what preparations will be required heading into the game next Saturday. 

Gradual Piecing Together

Despite what results may suggest, the work put in by manager Dave Haley is beginning to come together nicely. Piece by piece, the squad is becoming a stronger unit and becoming even more attractive in the way they play their football. Suffice to say, Dave Haley’s FC Humber is piecing together nicely, just a small matter of results coming together. 

Man of the Match

As sponsored by Talk Tonight – Selby CIC, Humber’s Man of the Match went to Dave Howard. Predominantly for the plethora of decent saves produced throughout the fixture, Dave also had a decent game of the ball. Offering a commanding presence behind the defensive lines, Dave provided a vocal outlet to the eleven in front of him. The only thing perhaps lacking were the elusive clean sheet, but all things aside, Dave Haley’s FC Humber is gradually piecing together. 

Post-Match Thoughts

Speaking after the game in a post-match interview, Dave Haley offered an all but brief and honest assessment of the squad’s performance: “Emotional, one minute your 1-0 up then three minutes later your 2-1 down.  Defensively we were much improved this week but we never really came to terms with their long diagonal passes and it was this that cost us for their first goal. We then reacted negatively to their goal and conceded another one straight after.

The psychological part of football is massive and we seemed to lose belief and confidence as soon as their goal went in; we didn’t react in a positive way. We need to keep improving defensively and learn from our mistakes; can we get better at defending diagonal balls and can we be mentally stronger if and when we concede. We must look to improve our squad again this week, work hard in training, stay positive and aim for 3 points on Saturday.“

FC Humber United: Dave Howard, Luca Binsley, Jamie Baxter, Craig Allen, Harrison Leigh, Ellis Farrah, Oliver Reape (Harry Glover), Jack Gascoigne (Cam Hall 71’), Eddie Wileman, Brandon Burke, Szymon Czubik. 

Subs: Andy Martland. 

Swallownest FC: Darryl Johnson, Nana Nyarko, Taylor Nicholson, Jay Atkin, Lewis Twibell, Josh Hemmingway, Juninho Blake, Jack Watts, Nathan Morritt, Alex Lill, Richard Williams (James Woodhouse 63’). 

Subs not used: Jack Appleyard, Jake Hatton, Callum Riley, Jay Short. 

Tom Devereux | Media Executive | FC Humber United

November 21, 2021