Returning to league action on the back of a Dronfield Town defeat, FC Humber sighted their next points haul in a return to the FPH Stadium in a 3.00pm kick-off against mid-tabled opposition of the Northern Counties East, Ollerton Town Football Club. The magnitude of the fixture hadn’t gone unnoticed, as Humber sought to build on the thoroughness instilled through Dave Haley, as the club progress to revive the season. 

And as with many a game witnessed this season, it was Ollerton Town who took the early advantage after capitalizing on an unsettled Humber back four. Despite the early goal, there wasn’t much to offer from the fixture; a scrappy affair opened up with sporadic opportunities coming along the way. Brandon Burke levelled the tie for FC Humber after seventeen minutes after his initial effort was parried by Levi Owen. 

With the fixture approaching the half hour mark, Ollerton perhaps felt they should have extended their lead; a thunderous effort of goal, rattled the woodwork whilst back-to-back saves from Dave Howard followed. Ollerton eventually retook the lead, the other side of the half hour mark; No.7 Ben Partridge capitalized on a poor back pass, rounded Dave Howard and slotted the ball home to restore the lead.

Humber’s opening substitution of the game came late in the opening half, with Jack Gascoigne entering play in place of David Rushton. Subsequently things got a little feisty and ultimately saw Gazza go into the book shortly after entering play. Late opportunities on goal came for both Humber and Ollerton; Brandon Burke fired a thunderous effort to Levi Owen’s near post, forcing a decent save from the shot stopper. 

HT: FCHU 1-2 Ollerton Town

Entering play for the second forty-five, Humber began the half brightly and had the lion’s share of opportunity in the opening minutes of the half and perhaps should have done better to pull level, after a delightful ball in from the right found Craig Allen but the chance dissipated quickly. The fixture then became a fiery affair and witnessed it’s first casualty after eight minutes; Gav King saw a straight red for a high foot to the chest of Dave Howard. 

Humber reacted well thereafter and began to methodically go about pulling the game level, and they did just that; after a fumble in and around the area Jack Durkin’s headed effort looped over the defensive lines and in. Despite the game becoming a little tasty, Humber were pretty unfortunate not to take the lead after decent opportunities from Szymon Czubik and Luke Sidaway. Further to an impending goal, Humber perhaps felt hard done by as the match officials made the decision to abandon the tie after seventy-seven minutes. 

ABN: FCHU 2-2 Ollerton Town

As It Happened

Positivity on the game

With the game ending in abandonment for Humber, there’s an abundance of positivity to take from a game against fellow NCEL outfit, Ollerton Town. Despite a different challenge, it was felt a decent account was given in the way the team pressed and whilst in possession, and as the game wore on Humber were well and truly the better side only to be undone by a late calling off. There are no illusions as to what preparations will be required heading into the game against Selby Town. 

A turning point

With FC Humber’s game presence ever growing, are we perhaps witnessing a turning point in the Club’s fortune. Despite perhaps feeling a little unfortunate with end results, FC Humber are showing massive improvement with each game that passes. The little things are becoming ever more noticeable on the field of play; the squads desire to keep pushing, keep battling and solve problems on the pitch is becoming ever more prominent. The squad are beginning to gel and are trusting each other’s style and how each player goes about their game. 

Post-Match Thoughts

Speaking after the game in a post-match interview, Dave Haley offered an all but brief and honest assessment of the squad’s performance: “What an extremely frustrating afternoon for everyone concerned. You couldn’t write the script;  2-2 with 15 minutes to go, your opponents are down to 9 men, 1 sent off, 1 sin binned, we are hitting them with wave after wave of attacks, we had just hit the bar, then the referee blows his whistle to end the game because of the fog on the linesman’s request. I was gutted as there was only going to be one outcome – our first win and a huge 3 points for Christmas.

The lads had put in so much effort into the game, coming back from behind twice and you could tell from their reaction to the whistle that they believed we were going to go on to win the game. It was a better defensive display all round, especially when we went back to a back 4, and the attitude of the lads was much improved in this game, they competed more, winning more 1v1 duels and their heads didn’t go down when we conceded the goals. 

In the dressing room at the end of the game it felt like we had lost, which was pleasing as we had spoken to the players before the game about their attitudes both on and off the pitch and how losing the game has got to mean more to the players. We now need to take this attitude and the improvement in our defending as a team and individually into the next three very tough fixtures.”

FC Humber United: Dave Howard, Szymon Czubik, Eddie Wileman, Jack Durkin, David Rushton (Jack Gascoigne 39’), Jack Prentice, Ewan Hallows, Craig Allen, Louis Blackwell (Austin Henry 60’), Luke Sidaway, Brandon Burke.

Unused Subs: Luca Binsley, Jamie Baxter. 

Ollerton Town: Levi Owen, Sam Geeves, Joe Bayne, Sam Stretton, Sam Martin, Connor Green, Ben Partridge, Joe Lumley, Gav King, Ollie Grady, Joe Turner. 

Subs not used: Sean Dickinnson, Jason Foster. 

Tom Devereux | Media Executive | FC Humber United

December 20, 2021