FC Humber returned to league action at the Tomlin Personnel Stadium off the back of an FA Vase defeat against Parkgate FC, however, the club were left to rue in disappointment and frustration after perhaps an underwhelming performance on the road. Humber visited Mansfield outfit Teversal FC, who began the day at the foot of the table after a poor run of results to start their season. The emphasis was very much on gaining the three points in what perhaps would have been considered a six-point game, so early in the season.

Humber had begun the day in search of a return to winning ways and with Swallownest, Clipstone and Ollerton all partaking in perhaps difficult fixtures, Humber could have ended the day as high as fifteenth pending other results. In search of a decent start, the game had begun as perhaps any game would, an intense opening few minutes that was borderline physical as the twenty-two combatants of Teversal and Humber vied for early supremacy. That was until Cameron Pinnock fired the hosts into an early lead with only two minutes on the clock.

Despite an Achilles heel moment from the hosts, signs of an immediate response began to come to fruition, culminating in Jamie Phillips rounding off a tidy passage of play from the visitors, bringing the game level in the seventh minute. Upon levelling the game, the tie perhaps suggested that Humber could and perhaps would step on and win the game, yet as is the way sometimes with FC Humber, that was not the case. 

Shortly after the fifteen-minute mark, Humber perhaps could have taken a hold on the tie; Louis Blackwell claimed the ball after another decent Humber move, yet he was soon charged down and ultimately was unable to get a shot off. In what has been seen more often than not, Teversal then scored at the other end two minutes later; after a decent move themselves, a near perfect delivery in from the right, found Tom Widdowson at the back post who subsequently fired a low shot past the fingertips of Aiden Smith. 

The fixture then appeared to get worse for the visiting FC Humber; Bradley Hall fired the hosting Teversal FC into a three-one lead as the game passed the half hour mark. However, Humber were perhaps unlucky not to pull a goal back prior to half-time; after a sublime ball in from Jamie Phillips, Louis Blackwell was found in the middle once again, this time the clubs lead scorer was able to get his shot away, yet it wasn’t perhaps the connection he had hoped for as his tame shot landed in the arms of Michael Ball. Teversal themselves did have one big opportunity left in them prior to the half-time whistle; yet another lovely move similar to that of the goal scored to retake the lead, was ultimately deemed offside by the officials. 

HT: Teversal 3-1 FCHU

The second half had begun in a much better fashion for Humber to that of the opening half. Having re-acquired a glimpse of their previous positivity, there was a sense of an impending goal about the game, and that is exactly what came to fruition; after battling well and forcing a corner, Ewan Hallows forced home the resulting effort, giving the visitors a much-needed hope in overturning the deficit. However, Humber could not hold onto their renewed hope; Cameron Pinnock restored the hosts two goal lead, just past the hour mark. That didn’t last long however; Brandon Burke pegged Teversal back once more with a decent finish Five minutes later. 

The game however, soon began to fall into a little disarray; with questionable officiating at times, tempers began to flare and Wozza almost saw himself sent off after a hard tackle saw both feet leave the floor, however, after a spot of confusion from the referee a yellow card was deemed sufficient. Jamie Baxter also went into the book, after yet another heavy tackle and it was perhaps undeservedly after a foul in the build up went unnoticed. Much to the frustration of the coaching staff, Teversal scored their fifth with ten minutes to go; Jamie Fox squeezing his effort into the bottom corner. 

Enter the ninetieth minute and the game just went mental; more added frustration from the Humber camp ensued, signs of argumentative spell were soon shot down from the touch line and three more goals in the space of two maybe three minutes. Cameron Pinnick secured his hat-trick in the ninetieth minute plus one prior to Louis Blackwell volleying home for his tenth goal of the season. Ryan Hancock then made it seven for the hosts prior to the final whistle. 

FT: Teversal 7-4 FCHU

In what was perhaps considered a must win fixture and perhaps considered a six-point game, so early on in the season. Frustration ensued, leaving the Humber camp at a loss for words. Perhaps begging the question, What now for FC Humber?! 

As It Happened

Master’s of our own downfall

FC Humber’s Achilles heel is perhaps their ability to shoot themselves in the foot. We saw it in pre-season, we saw in earlier league fixtures; a lapse in concentration, losing a man or even a drop in confidence has led to the club’s downfall in games up until recently. However,in the clubs recent league outing, perhaps a slow start once more after conceding early. Combined with further lapses in concentration, allowing six further goals along with the added frustration in the game and perhaps each other, particularly when they responded so well twice in the game, to pull themselves back. 

FC Humber Starting XI: Aiden Smith, Luca Binsley, Jonathan Wileman, Jamie Baxter, Craig Allen, James Warwick-Atkins, Cam Davies, Ewan Hallows, Jamie Phillips, Louis Blackwell, Brandon Burke and Jonathan Wileman. 

Subs: Oli Barton, Andy Leech, Tom Phillips, Jack Gascoigne and Bartlomeiy Grzywa. 

Teversal FC Starting XI: Michael Ball, Jake Allen, Jack McWilliams, Elliott Bouldwell, Gary Atkins, Callum Milner, Charlie Smith, Bradley Hall, Cameron Pinnick, George Simpson and Tom Widdowson

Subs: Jack Lightly, Joe Geesan, Ryan Hancock, Joe Fox and Leon Turton. 

Tom Devereux | Media Executive | FC Humber United

September 19, 2021