FC Humber continued their league campaign on Tuesday night, on the back of a well earnt point against a decent Armthorpe Welfare side. This time out, Humber returned to the road and faced fellow strugglers, Shirebrook Town and were left to rue defeat after a controlled performance at Langwith Road. Humber’s hosts had begun the day rooted to the foot of the table, after an unfortunate run of results to start off their season.

On the back of Saturday’s hard fought point, a renewed sense of passion had ensued for Humber as the side went in search of securing yet another haul of points in a game perhaps considered a six point fixture; yet as is sometimes the case, things are perhaps never straight forward. In search of getting the proverbial ball rolling, the game had begun as perhaps any game would; an intense opening few minutes that was borderline physical as the twenty-two combatants of Town and Humber vying for early supremacy. 

In terms of first half football, the game perhaps lacked flare in a game plagued by torrential rain. Humber did offer a decent display defensively with their opposition looking unlikely to score in open play. However, the visitors were undone once again by perhaps their many Achilles heels, the set piece; the hosts won a corner right at the death and subsequently Sam Allcock scored, sending the hosts into a lead at the break.

HT: Shirebrook 1-0 FCHU

The second forty-five couldn’t have got off to a worse start for Humber; almost instantly from the restart were once again undone by yet another set piece, this time Fabian Johnson landed on the end of another corner. Yet again more controlled play from Humber ensued and the hosts did not look as though they would score from open play. Humber were edging towards a forgetful night on their most dangerous asset; their abilities in attack. That was despite hitting the bar twice from long range efforts; yet another frustrating evening appeared to be setting in. 

However, as the second forty-five entered its final stages, Humber were finally rewarded with a goal; Cam Hall restored a little hope for the visiting FC Humber. From then on it was all Humber and the game appeared to be heading for another two all draw until an unfortunate misplaced back pass from Tom Phillips saw Liam Pritchard in on goal, subsequently slotting the ball home and ultimately killing the game off. 

FT: Shirebrook 3-1 FCHU

As It Happened

Positives despite defeat

Despite the obvious disappointment from suffering yet another league defeat, there perhaps some positive aspects to take from the game. A decent controlled performance had ensued throughout from Humber, signs of which we had very much enjoyed though pre-season and into the footballing season. Then there was Humber’s improvement in their defensive displays, in particular being able to prevent their opposition from scoring in open play, for the most part anyhow. 

Masters of their own downfall

Despite their improved performances and aspects on the field, the performance still holds that little niggling doubt in being the masters of their own downfall. Tuesday’s fixture wasn’t evident that set pieces and one misplaced back pass was indeed the teams downfall. 

Post-Match Thoughts

Speaking after the game in a post-match interview, the newly appointed Luke Herriott shared a few thoughts from his opening fixture as Humber boss alongside Marc Brown: “Coming into the changing rooms last night for the first time, the players looked nervous and anxious. We started the game in the right fashion. We looked to get the ball down and play. 

After fifteen to twenty minutes our game plan went out of the window as we got dragged into a battle which suited our opposition, Shirebrook Town. However, through open play I felt confident we wouldn’t be broken down. My worries were set pieces and corners. Also, throw-ins as the lad had a throw and half on him. Throughout the game I felt we didn’t get out of first gear and were trying too hard to impress thus individual mistakes were made. There is a lot to work on in the next few weeks and there are some positives we can take out of the game. 

On the whole we got what we deserved and that’s to walk away with 0 points.

My thoughts now turn to training Wednesday night and making sure all our players know their individual jobs and to tighten the back line for the better. Work on our defensive set pieces and corners. We have 4 days to make things better ready for Saturday and I feel we will come into the game fresh and hungry for three points. 

On a final note, Tuesday’s game proved a very scruffy battle and a battle we weren’t quite ready for. Ultimately, we fell into their trap and it cost us the game. However, moving onto Saturday’s game against Rainworth MW, I believe it is a must win game and I will make sure our lads are up for it and are going to give hundred percent for the club and themselves.”

FC Humber United XI: Aiden Smith, Luca Binsley, David Hancock, Jack Gascoigne, Craig Allen, Jonathan Morritt, Szymon Czubik, Jamie Phillips, Jonathan Wileman, Eddie Wileman and Brandon Burke. 

Subs: Luke Herriott, Ewan Hallows, Jamie Baxter, Tom Phillips and Cam Hall

Shirebrook Town XI: Lewis Hill, Cory Eagle, Kieran Ordidge, Sam Allcock, Joe Harris, Macole Lannaman, Kenan McKenzie Grey, Daniel Ramsey, Fabian Johnson, Kieron Sykes Tobin and Nathan Jessop. 

Subs: Ethan Knowles, Kurtis Cockburn, Liam Pritchard, Jack Hutchinson and Reece Treasure. 

Tom Devereux | Media Executive | FC Humber United

September 30, 2021