As the month of August opens its doors to a busy schedule amidst fears of the reoccurring pandemic, FC Humber United continued their league campaign with a second fixture in the opening week, seeing the reformed NCEL side travel to the Pinto Property Stadium; Worsbrough Bridge Athletic awaited them whom had also won their opening fixture of the campaign in a 1-0 away win at Hall Road Rangers.

When the opening day fixture against Dronfield Town concluded in victory for FC Humber United, the 7-1 result set the tone of the club’s capabilities. Morale was very much on a high as FC Humber headed into their first away fixture of the campaign. Facing the challenge Tuesday night’s opposition offered, Mark Maspero named an unchanged starting XI from the opening day as the club aimed for more points on the board.

Worsbrough Bridge began the fixture brightest and an early bout of pressure from the hosts brought about the opening goal of the game. After an unfortunate defensive mistake in the build up, Luke Francis pounced at the opportunity and made no mistake in putting the ball away in the third minute. Despite an unsettled start from FC Humber, the first opportunity of the game came three minutes later; A headed effort fired over the bar after a decent passage of play from the visitors. 

Nerves remained unsettled for FC Humber after conceding; Worsbrough Bridge were very much aware of the situation, continually searching for a way through the FC Humber defence. Aiden Smith was forced into a fantastic save in the eleventh minute, with good defensive showings in the minutes leading up to and after. However, despite having a decent opportunity of their own FC Humber succumbed to a 2-0 deficit as the game passed fifteen minutes, Callum Walton extending the lead. 

The remaining minutes of the first half offered little for FC Humber other than sporadic spells in possession and a handful of half chances. The same wasn’t to be said of the evening’s hosts, whom continued their efforts in exploiting FC Humber weaknesses; With opportunity rife, it could have easily been four-nil at the break if it were not for some heroic defending from the visitors. 

HT: Worsbrough Bridge 2-0 FCHU

FC Humber made a double substitution at half-time, seeing Eddie Wileman and Josh Skill enter the field of play. The second forty-five couldn’t have got off to a worse start for FC Humber United, just a minute into proceedings Tom Micklethwaite-Charles was given his marching orders after the goal line clearance had hit the arm of the FC Humber defender. Subsequently, Worsbrough Bridge were awarded a penalty and despite Aiden Smith going the right way, the spot kick proved too good for the shot stopper.

Despite being reduced to ten men early on, the FC Humber work rate began to offer signs of a gathering momentum. The visitors were rewarded with a goal in the fifty-third minute; Eddie Wileman charged down the right flank in a sensational effort, subsequently finding Louis Blackwell on the eighteen-yard line who then powered through the Worsbrough centre back pairing, slotting the ball home to make it three-one.

Despite signs of a spirited revival from the visitors, Worsbrough Bridge had the ball in the net for a fourth time however, the effort was chalked off after an offside decision in the build up. As FC Humber aimed to further stake a claim on the game, Worsbrough continued exhibiting signs of intent and were rewarded with a fourth goal just past the hour mark.

The host’s were awarded a second penalty in the seventieth minute after a foul just inside the area; Conor Glavin extended Worsbrough’s lead from the spot. Still operating with ten men, FC Humber would not let the game end there; The work rate was still up from the first forty five and the visitors rekindled a little confidence toward the later stages, perhaps too little too late for Mark Maspero’s men.

The visitors pulled a second goal back in the seventy-sixth minute; Brandon Burke fired home after splitting off from the Worsbrough defence, a hard battle won from FC Humber in the build up. From then on, the game offered very little with the remaining minutes offering much in the way of possession play and sporadic probing attacks; The hosts knew it was job done, the visitors left with a taste of reality.

FT: Worsbrough Bridge 5-2 FCHU

As It Happened

A frustrating evening

It would perhaps be a fair assessment that FC Humber’s opening away fixture of the season proved a disappointing and perhaps frustrating evening to say the least. Perhaps hard to look past a 5-2 defeat after such an enthralling 7-1 victory in their opening day fixture but such is the nature of the beast. There were times when frustration began to sink into the FC Humber camp as the game was not going as planned; Discipline will possibly be on the thought of the FC Humber coaching staff after Cam Hall and Louis Blackwell were booked and Tom Micklethwaite-Charles saw Red.

Learn from the game

As mentioned, many a time previously FC Humber United are still very much a youthful side having many of them not played in this league until now. With it still being so early in the season, there is ample time for the squad to get better through extensive training and guidance from the management; It all boils down to this, learn from the games we play and move in the only direction we can, forward. There’s no use in dwelling on the past.

Tom Devereux | Media Executive | FC Humber United 

Picture Credit: Danny Lydiate

August 4, 2021