Returning from a lengthy break due to weather, FC Humber sighted their next points haul at the Fairfax Plant Hire Stadium in a 3.00pm kick-off against mid-tabled opposition of the Northern Counties East strugglers, Worsbrough Bridge Athletic Football Club. The magnitude of the fixture hadn’t gone unnoticed, as Humber sought to build on the thoroughness instilled through Dave Haley, as the club progress to revive the season. 

However, the return to league action offered little respite as Humber were left to rue in another defeat, after the Barnsley outfit proved too clinical on the day. With match officials commencing the league fixture, the game had begun as perhaps many a game would; an intense opening few minutes the was borderline physical as the twenty-two combatants of Humber and Worsbrough vied for early supremacy.

Humber soon offered a decent endeavour on the game and were promptly rewarded with a goal in the opening minutes; Luke Sidaway capping off a decent start from the hosts. Worsbrough responded minutes later with their opening chance of the game; fortunately an effort that went wide. Humber were unlucky not to double their lead after ten minutes, Luke Sidaway’s looping header rattled the woodwork. 

The host’s enjoyed a good spell behind the ball, but were caught on the break by the Worsbrough pace and the visitors levelled the tie just before the twenty minute mark. Opportunity on goal continued and Worsbrough thought they’d taken the lead, Carl Widdrington produced a decent save to deny the visitors. Worsbrough took the lead prior to the half-hour mark; Humber caught on the break once more with another tidy finish slotted past Carl Widdrington.

As the tie reached the half-hour mark, the game got worse for Humber as Worsbrough extended their lead with another tidy finish. Six minutes later the visitors scored their fourth of the afternoon to take a commanding lead prior to half-time. Humber thought they should have had a penalty with five minutes to go, however, all shouts for the spot kick were squashed by the match official. 

HT: FCHU 1-4 Worsbrough Bridge

The visitors thought they’d extended their lead to five, minutes into the second forty-five, however, Carl Widdrington produced a big save to deny the Barnsley outfit. The half opened up a little thereafter with sporadic opportunity coming for both teams; a lovely driving run from Ewan Hallows was perhaps the best of the bunch early on, yet the effort was let down by the final product. 

Humber were again unfortunate not to get a second, just past the hour mark; a double effort on goal denied by the Worsbrough defence. Much to the annoyance of the hosts, Worsbrough scored their fifth of the afternoon in the sixty-fifth minute, perhaps sealing  the victory and the points back to Barnsley. The remaining moments of the game proved an open affair, opportunity came and went for both teams in a somewhat end-to-end game; Humber however, could get the ball to fall for them as the minutes ran out to a 1-5 defeat. 

FT: FCHU 1-5 Worsbrough Bridge

As It Happened

Positives despite defeat

With the game ending in defeat for Humber, there are positives to take from a game against fellow NCEL outfit, Worsbrough Bridge. Despite a different challenge, it was felt a decent account was given in the way the team pressed and whilst in possession, if it were not for the goals conceded on the break perhaps points would have come to camp Humber. There are no illusions as to what preparations will be required heading into the game next Saturday. 

Gradual Piecing Together

Despite what results may suggest, the work put in by manager Dave Haley is beginning to come together nicely. Piece by piece, the squad are becoming more stronger unit and becoming even more attractive in the way they play their football. Suffice to say, Dave Haley’s FC Humber is piecing together nicely, just a small matter of results coming together.  

Post-Match Thoughts

Speaking after the game in a post-match interview, Dave Haley offered an all but brief and honest assessment of the squad’s performance: I thought the score line didn’t reflect the game.  We had a very good start and played some good football at times but defensively again, we need to be better as a team.  Our defensive line was too high on occasions and as a result we conceded 3 goals from balls in behind.  It is hard when your back 4 changes every week but going forward we need to address this and get it right.”

Dave added: “I thought the centre backs played very well together and in general all the new faces seemed to settle in well. It was always going to be tough though as we have never played together. The squad was also very young, our oldest outfield player was 24. So, we had a lot of energy in the team but little experience of this league. I’m a great believer that you need a strong core of experienced players down the spine of your team so it will be great to see our skipper, Craig and our forwards, Louis and Eddie back playing with these young players in next Saturday’s fixture (fingers very crossed). 

I feel with the energy of our younger players combined with the experience of the older players coming back in the team for next week’s fixture, at Dronfield Town, we will finally turn the corner. Let’s all stay positive and remember, “Rome wasn’t built in a day”.”

FC Humber United: Carl Widdrington, Luca Binsley (Jacob Brayston 82’), Tommy Mansley (Austin Henry 66’), Jack Gascoigne, Jack Durkin, Jack Prentice, Ewan Hallows, Angus Richardson (Idris Atta 82’), Luke Sidaway, Brandon Burke, Szymon Czubik.

Subs: Lewis Haley, Jamie Baxter

Worsbrough Bridge: Ross Pritchard, Dempsey Smith, Elliot Wilson, Conor Glavin, Jack Canthorn, Lewis O’Connor, Spenser Sheppard, Ben Dondehue, Luke Francis, Mike Jepps, Harley Holt. 

Subs not used: Maxim Hague, Alex Hutchinson, Aiden Smith, Callum Walton, Jordan Kershaw. 

Tom Devereux | Media Executive | FC Humber United

December 5, 2021