FC Humber United traveled to the worlds oldest football ground in renewed confidence to face league leaders Hallam FC. With pre match doubts on whether the game would be on after two pitch inspections it was always going to be an uphill struggle (literally) with an extremely wet and boggy pitch at Sandygate.

In front of a large crowd of 787 FC Humber did not disgrace themselves and can once again take a lot of positives from the game and caused the league leaders problems on a few occasions during the game. The crowd in attendance also set a club landmark for the biggest crowd in which the club has competed in a competitive fixture. First of two club landmarks reached in this fixture.

It was Hallam who got off to a brighter start in the game creating many chances as the home side decided to play downhill first half. It wasn’t until midway through the first half the hosts broke th deadlock, following a number of saves by Dave Howard and strong defending from the Humber back four we held the visitors at bay and frustrated the large crowd in attendance.

Hallam extended the lead following what can only be described as a typical non league scramble in the box, the ball finally fell to Hallam’s striker who poked home the second goal of the game. FC Humber appealed strongly to the referee for a handball in the build up which ultimately resulted in Szymon Czubik being sin-binned and manager Dave Haley receiving a yellow card.

Down to 10 men for the remainder of the first half Hallam hit Humber with a third goal shortly before the break and ultimately killed the game as a contest.

Half Time 3-0 to the hosts, Hallam FC

With Humber coming out the second half with a point to prove and heading downhill, the aim was to hold the scoreline and see if we can sneak a goal or two. We did create a number of chances on the counter attack and continued to hold our own with some fantastic defending and saves by Howard in goal.

It wasn’t until the 76th minute that Hallam found a 4th and final goal of the game, Humber didn’t give up which was a promising sign that manager Dave Haley is instilling renewed confidence in the team. On a heavy pitch and wet conditions the coaching team turned to the bench when knocks and injuries occured and our second club landmark was reached. With GK Coach – Oly Barton entering the field of play (not as a goalkeeper but a striker), Oly becomes the clubs oldest player to make an appearance for the club at the age of 41.

FT: Hallam 4-0 FC Humber United

A tough day and pre-match circumstances with late team changes and conditions took a hold on the squad however we put in another battling performance which continues to show progress is being made on the pitch as each week passes.

We now head into a two week break to prepare for two huge games at the bottom of the table against Clipstone (away) and Teversal (home) which are two win at all cost games if we are to stand a chance of survival this season.

January 9, 2022