FC Humber United thump in-form Shirebrook Town 5-1 to close the gap at the bottom of the table.

A first half flurry of goals from Simon Czubik, Brandon Burke and Eddie Wileman ended Shirebrook’s seven game unbeaten streak. The win saw Humber close the gap to safety to just six points, reeling in relegation rivals Clipstone and Rainworth.

Brother of Eddie, Jonathon Wileman (Joggers) put the gloss on the result, adding a fifth right at the end. A perfect ending to his comeback match, after three months away touring Mexico.

Humber were hit with an immediate sucker punch early on, as Nathan Jessop gave the visitors the lead three minutes in.

Humber failed to clear a set piece and the number seven had an easy finish at the back post.

This was met with a sarcastic comment of “these (Humber) are good aren’t they”, from Shirebrook’s one travelling fan, as both him and their goalkeeper enjoyed a joke at 1-0 up.

Famous last words.

Before they could finish their joke, Czubik latched onto a high ball over the top. He squared it to Burke, who fired his shot into the top corner, with the goalkeeper caught in no mans land.

Shirebrook could not live with Czubik’s pace and movement or Humber’s expansive play, as they completed the turnaround inside ten minutes.

This time Czubik found space on the opposite flank and motored past two defenders. With no one in ear of him, the goalkeeper was forced to charge out his area. As the onrushing goalkeeper drew nearer, Czubik delivered a deaft acute finish into the far corner.

Humber showed great character and tactical awareness to be in the position they were and Shirebrook simply failed to adapt.

Shirebrook had no answer to Czubik yet again, who made it 3-1 with almost a calm and copy of his first.

A simple ball over the top and Czubik did the rest. Although the Shirebrook defenders managed to catch up to Czubik this time, they were powerless to stop his nifty footwork and clever finish into the top corner.

Three goal involvements in the first half and Czubik was not finished there. It was soon 4-1 just before half time, as Eddie Wileman converted a rebound after Czubik’s curling shot crashed off the woodwork.

Czubik had the freedom of the left flank all half and Shirebrook defenders spectated as he cut in onto his right foot this time. Despite hitting the cross bar, Shirebrook defenders reacted like statues as Eddie Wileman was first to the rebound.

Humber continued in the same vein of form in the second half, spurning numerous chances to make the scoreline embarrassing.

First a clever reverse pass from Tom Alngohuro found Burke who’s shot was blocked one on one. From the resulting corner the Shirebrook goalkeeper found himself at full stretch.

Mick Jones’ cross was chested down superbly by Danny Ward, who was denied a debut goal brilliantly down low.

Another corner followed as did another chance. This time defender George Cull was denied at full stretch.

Shirebrook’s chances were at a premium as they were limited to long range efforts in the second half. Besides a Ryan Ordidge long shot which went a yard wide and a Joshua Devereux free kick which struck the post, Shirebrook did not create anything else in the second half.

In fact the second half as a whole was a lot quieter, as Humber managed the game well.

Essa Ndow, Czubik and Alngohuro were still full of running as Shirebrook’s narrow formation got exploited by Humber’s inverted wingers.

Czubik had the ball in the net again, however the referees flag was raised for offside.

Essa then pulled up with cramp late on demonstrating the effort and commitment Humber had put into the game.

Late substitute Jonathon Wileman put the icing on the cake, as he coolly struck a low effort into the far corner, to the delight of all of his teammates.

Humber next travel to another unbeaten team on Wednesday in Parkgate, as they look to secure their first away win of the season.

February 13, 2022